1. TALK TO NO ONE: Do not talk to anyone about fault as it relates to your accident except one of the DexterLaw attorneys or paralegals. You are likely not an expert on liability or Utah law. Accordingly, you will want to seek advice and counsel before such communication occurs. This is especially the case since insurance companies make their money be keeping their money – they are looking for ways to minimize or deny your claim. Do not even talk to your own insurance company or to any lawyers hired by your own insurance company without notifying us so that we may be present if necessary. We will generally want any of your statements taken in our office. It is generally permissible to speak only about property damage and/or rental issues.
2. MEDICAL PROVIDERS: Your attorneys are not medical professionals. You should always listen to your medical providers and return to each of your doctors as often as necessary and should always tell them about all of your complaints. You should not minimize your ailments to your doctors. To know how to treat you effectively, they need complete and honest information throughout your course of treatment. If you see any additional doctors, be sure we are advised immediately of their names, addresses, and telephone numbers.
3. RECORD OF COMPLAINTS: Please keep a daily or weekly record of your complaints and progress. This can be very helpful later because you will be able to recall your pain and difficulties more vividly. Also, you should communicate often with your attorney regarding those limitations and issues which you are experiencing so that they will be able to convey all relevant information to the at-fault party.
4. WAGES AND EARNINGS LOST: Please keep an accurate record of all days lost from work because of your injuries (doctor’s appointments, physical therapy, not feeling well, etc.).
5. COPIES OF MEDICAL BILLS: Obtain and duplicate copies of all medical, hospital, and pharmacy bills. You should periodically send these bills to Dexter &Dexter for your files. Also keep a record of any other expenses you may have in connection with your accident, such as the hiring of extra help to complete household services. All of your bills should be paid by check, and you should obtain and keep receipts. You should make and keep a list of all your medical bills and the costs incurred in going to the doctor.
6. PICTURES: Do not repair your automobile until you are sure that you have obtained pictures of it. Please let DexterLaw know if you would like them to take pictures of your vehicle. Also, please make sure that pictures of your injuries have been taken. After pictures have been taken, have your collision insurance carrier repair your car.