Changing Your Name in Utah

Under Utah law, an adult may petition the district court of the county in which he or she has resided for at least one year to change their name.  It is also possible to for a parent to petition to have his or her minor child’s name changed.

While the request for a name change seems simple enough, there are restrictions on whether or not an adult or minor child may change his or her name.  Numerous court documents need to be prepared and filed.  Moreover, the petitioner or the child’s parent must appear in court before a judge in order to receive a decree of name change.

Under most circumstances, a reasonable flat fee can be charged for an attorney’s services.  Having an experienced family law attorney from Dexter & Dexter take control of the process and paperwork, as well as represent you at the name change hearing, will reduce stress, save time, and ensure a successful experience at court.

Contact us at for more details on how you can get the help you deserve today. You may also schedule a free consultation here.

Thank You for Your Trust and Confidence.

DexterLaw - Daily Herald 2023 Best of Utah Valley

Voted Best Law Firm
for 15 years!

- Readers of The Daily Herald

DexterLaw - UV Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year

Business of the Year

- UV Chamber of Commerce

Voted #1 Law Firm
11 years in a row!

- Readers of UV Magazine